Day12 mopeds and a ferry
Bakeries are everywhere in Germany. As well as a great variety of breads they also serve pastries and coffee. I have used one at least every day.
This cinnamon roll was my choice this morning.
When I was doing longer endurance rides I have often had a little nap in a bus shelter. I've never seen one as nice as this though. I could have camped the night in this one
A Simson Rally. These were made in The DDR and have become popular due to East German Nostalgia or Ostalgia as it is now known. I watched the ridera setting off. The smell of 2 stroke petrol reminded me of my first motorbike, a CZ from Czechoslovakia.
Along the way I kept seeing a massive pipeline construction project. This is the very ambitious €10bn Suedlink project to send wind powered electricity to South Germany. We are doing something similar in UK from Norwich to Tilbury, but a much cheaper and controversial overhead transmission network is being used.
Local elections are happening the following weekend, so the roads have multiple posters promoting the various candidates.I don't know much about German Politics, but it is based on proportional representation, which I think the UK sorely needs.
Towards the end of the day I caught my 3rd ferry of the trip across the River Elbe.Thia is a serious one as the river is wide and busy. It is also a long way upstream to the nearest bridge. The queue Southbound was over 2 miles long. Apparently there is a proposed tunnel which would cost over €2bn
There were 3 cycle tourists on our boat. I noticed that we all had Brooks saddles.This is mine. 15 years old and very comfortable. Still hand made in Birmingham since 1866
I finished my day in the town of Wilster. I had the most traditional meal ever at Zum Landhaus. Stuffed cabbage with potatoes.
Summary
Favourable winds for my longest ride of the tour.
77 miles and 950 ft of climb. (Essentially flat)
Comments
Post a Comment