Day 14. The final day

2 weeks has gone really quickly. At the start of my trip as I climbed the mountain to get to Germany's Southernmost point, I was enjoying myself, but was worried if I would make it.
And here I was nearly at the end. I had to cycle to the station at Klanxbüll to catch a train over to the island of Sylt. There is no way to cycle across the causeway.
I made my way to the station to get my ticket and I was impressed to see a Policeman teaching children how to cross the road.
A lot of my route was on a cycle path alongside the road. It is mandatory to use these, but sometimes they are awful, with the path broken due to tree routes. At least they put up a sign to warn you.
i came across this lovely natural bathing pool. I didn't have my trunks though.
As I have travelled through Germany I was able to track my process a little using number plates. I could tell I was getting nearer to somewhere once I started to see different number plates. The first change came as I approached Ulm (UL). And today I started to see mainly North Friesland (NF) plates



I arrived at the station to get my train over to Sylt, but I had a 45 minute wait, so time for a second breakfast.
It had started raining on my way but as I waited for the train it really started to come down and didn't stop for the rest of the day.
The journey over the causeway was interesting. As there is no road,  all cars and lorries have to use the train.

Sylt is sometimes likened to a German  version of the Hamptons. There is clearly at lot of wealth if the bus stops are anything to go by. If you don't want to slum it, there is a private airport you can fly into.

The houses are quite special too.
A lot of the land is heath. I'm sure this is beautiful when sunny.
I was cold and wet with 5 miles to go so I stopped for a coffee. On a nice day this would also be a nice stop for a beer. Apparently it is a famous as a cult night spot 

The road I was riding on was awful, apparently it was built in the 1930s as part of coastal defences and it is now referred to as the tank road. The wet didn't help, but at least the wind was behind me. Anyway after a few more miles I reached the path to the Nordische Punkt.
I parked the bike and walked about 500m through the sand and there I was. My journey was complete.
850 miles over 14 days. An average of over 60 miles a day.  I've also done 29,970 ft of climb, which is slightly more than Mt Everest.
It has been a wonderful journey. 
Thanks everyone for all your support. I've now raised nearly £3,000 for the Donor Family Network in memory of my my son James.
Any more donations will be gratefully received.

https://www.justgiving.com/page/tim-decker



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Day 9 Into BAOR

Getting to the start