Day 13 The last ferry and a glorious tailwind.
There was a great bike shop a few metres from my hotel, called Lamberty.
So I started my day, buying a new inner tube and a proper puncture kit. On any future tour I will make sure I have one of these, rather than relying on stick on patches.
These are the best puncture repair kits in the world, made in Germany since 1937
Interestingly the shop assistant told me there was another Lamberty bike shop. The two are completely separate businesses, run by a brother and sister.
This seems to be a thing in German business. Aldi Sud and Aldi Nord and Puma and Adidas. Both bitter rivals run by brothers. Read more here
It was a beautiful warm day and there was going to be a nice tailwind. I particularly liked this idyllic scene as I made my way to my last ferry of the trip.
My last ferry of the trip crossed the Kiel Canal. The canal is amazing and cuts the journey from the Baltic to the North See by 290 miles. As part of the construction it was decreed that ferries must be free.
This ferry took me to the town of Burg, which actually had a hill to climb
After all the wind turbines, it was nice to see a traditional windmill.
Ive no idea what this statue was, but I liked the idea of a conversation with a cockrel. The JWs liked it too and had set up their stall on it.
Having seen the weather forecast I decided that camping wasn't a good idea. So I booked into the Hotel Frida. A Frida Kahlo inspired hotel. When James was younger he did an art project on her, so it was a poignant choice.I had a meal bought from the supermarket. Obviously I had to buy this wine when I saw it on the shelf and very nice it was too.
Summary 64 miles, 900 ft of climb. My fastest 50km ride of the year thanks to the tailwind.
Comments
Post a Comment