Getting to the start

Getting to Germany was always going to be a challenge, particularly when you are taking a bike and luggage.
So all credit to Ryanair for a great journey. We landed ahead of schedule in Memmingen, which they optimistically describe as Munich West, although it over a 100km away.
Bike box and luggage.
I found a quiet corner of the airport where I could unpack and put my bike together.
After an hour or so I was ready to go. As a bonus it had also stopped raining and it was only a couple of miles downhill to the station.
I got told off for trying to take my bike into the booking office. But I was then kindly taken through the process  of buying separate tickets for both me and the bike, which I never would have done on my own.
On the train to the Alps
Overall it was an easy journey and it wasn't long before I was in Oberstdorf, Germany's Southernmost village.
My bed for the night

I camped next to the railway, with great views of the Alps in the background.

Comments

  1. Can I just check, Tim, is that a seat you are carrying or is it the kitchen sink?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surprise! That Julia Boyd book I mentioned: A Village in the Third Reich was about Oberstdorf. Worth reading

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Bob, That is indeed my seat. Very useful, but I may omit it on future tours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you tell me what you did with the bike box? Did you leave it at the airport and find another for the return?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Day 9 Into BAOR