Day 3. The stormy one
It started so well. The sun was shining and there wasn't even much of a headwind.
I came across this bit of bike sculpture. Possibly an idea for the future, when I can't ride anymore.
I was on the outskirts of the city Iof Ulm. The path I was on was wonderful and managed to avoid most of the main roads. This was an interesting sight, a driver training area for children complete with miniature traffic lights. I'm not sure how it works. Are some kids cycling and other driving around like nutters in mini BMWs?
Meanwhile the sky was darkening and I could hear the sound of distant thunder. I had just climbed a massive hill and the heavens opened. I checked where I was in Google maps and it came up with a warning.
DANGER TO LIFE. STAY INDOORS, EXPECT FLOODING, LANDSLIDES, FALLING TREES etc.
Reluctantly I decided to go back down the hill to a hotel I had passed earlier.
The weather radar looked horrendous.
By the time I got to the hotel I knew I'd made the right decision. The storm was passing over and it was biblical! I enjoyed a nice coffee and after 30 minutes or so it had stopped raining
This was the road shortly after. Over the next few hours there was lots of evidence of the storm though.
Sadly the sunshine didn't last and despite pausing for a while, I soon decided I just needed to keep going.
I was rewarded with a lovely traffic free route through the Lautertal gorge, much like Cheddar Gorge, but without cars.
Today was very hilly. I had just descended a steep hill for a few miles and looked up and saw this impressive viaduct.
The rest of the herd ran away as I approached, but this one was far to busy eating an apple whole.
I also discovered I was on the German Camino and saw a couple of familiar shell signs. My wife and I walked a Portuguese Camino earlier in the year with some friends. This bought back some great memories
After a long and tiring day I was glad to be staying in a hotel for the night. I treated myself to a very nice meal.
65 miles, 3,500 ft of climbing
Comments
Post a Comment