D6 Away from The Rhine and into the hills

I met this fellow tourist Henk Sanders the previous evening. He is cycling in the opposite direction from the Netherlands to Florence. We had a great chat about cycling and life in general.
This was the campsite I stayed at overnight. Camping- und Wassersportclub Griesheim. They always make room for cycle tourists. It was a delightful campsite and perfect for a one night stay.
The first 10 miles of my ride were along the flood protection dike. I even had a tail wind, which made for fast progress 
Morning coffee and apple cake.
I made the mistake of having a cappuccino, which was made with UHT milk and just tasted wrong.

I liked this little mini trailer I spotted. Not very practical, but cool nonetheless 
My route took me along the Roman Limes German Border
This is a reproduction watch tower.
I had managed to avoid showers all day until I got to the outskirts of Limburg when I got caught in a massive downpour, but I was nearly finished for the day, so it didn't matter. I climbed up through the historic city to see the Cathedral. It will look great when it's finished.
The way this man was drinking from the barrel made me even thirstier.
A nice pint of local Dunkels bier hit the spot.

I completed the last 3 miles to the campsite in pouring rain. They had washing machines, so I was able to wash all my cycling kit at last. While waiting for the wash to finish I rode into the local town of Diaz to get dinner. Nothing fancy, but it was just what I needed.

Summary 
A very tough 54 miles, with 2,800 ft of climbing all in a short distance.



I

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Day 9 Into BAOR

Getting to the start